Thank a soldier and their families! Let us never forget!

Sunday, August 10, 2008

My Platform



I am not usually one who speaks out much on politics. Normally my stand is to pray for those who decide to embark on this path. However, after being bombarded by ads and events surrounding this year’s presidential campaign I have realized that no one clearly addresses the real issues that we as citizens deal with on a daily basis. Therefore, I have decided to share my opinion on what America needs and if I were running for Office these are a few of the issues I would address.


(1) Language - In America the official language is English. You must learn to speak English or have a personal translator above the age of eighteen with you at all times. You will not be allowed to apply for employment until you can speak English. (We will offer ample opportunities for you to learn our language, but we will not pay for it with taxpayer’s monies)


(2) Welfare – Each recipient must submit to random drug testing once a month. If you do not pass your check stops immediately. Checks will be issued on Monday mornings. You must reapply for the privilege to receive welfare every year. You must do volunteer community service for a minimum of 20 hours a week or until you are gainfully employed. You are not allowed to procreate while reaching welfare monies. (If you can’t afford to support yourself, you certainly can’t afford to support more children.)


(3) When imports are allowed, there will be a 100% import tax on them. The price of items exported and imported will be comparative. We will no longer sell our products dirt cheap while we are gouged for equally necessary items such as oil.


(5) Social Security will be reserved for those who have worked and put in their fair share.
Government officials, who will not be living on social security, will no longer be able to make decisions or vote on issues concerning Social Security. Social Security policies will be made by a forum of senior citizens who actually have to live and rely on social security for their lively hood.


(7) Professional Athletes –Any athlete found in violate of drug policies or who is convicted of a crime, will be banned for life. (Our kids and many adults look up to sports figures as mentors. This will help our youth to understand that there are real consequences for your actions)


(8) Crime – If you plead guilty or you are proven guilty in a court of law you will begin your sentence immediately. You will serve your full sentence with no opportunity for parole. You will lose your rights as an upstanding citizen to vote or make a profit from the crime you committed by selling rights to a movie, or writing a book, or speaking out at events. While incarcerated you will work in some capacity to help improve your community, whether it be digging ditches, mowing lawns, or rebuilding and cleaning areas destroyed by natural disasters. If you are convicted of a sexual crime, appropriate medical treatment will be administered to ensure your inability to ever commit such a crime again. If you are convicted of murder, you will immediately be sent to the front lines in Iraq and take the place of one of our young kids who have willing put their life on the line for the likes of you.


(11) The right to recite the Pledge of Allegiance and pray will be returned to our schools. In fact it will be mandatory that each school day will begin with an assembly hall where The Pledge of Allegiance and prayer will be conducted. Failure to attend will result in disciplinary action. (Notice I did not say participate. You can choose whether you wish to participate, but you will be exposed to what is our right as Americans so that you might realize what our forefathers and others have died for.)


(12) It will be mandatory practice that The National Anthem be played at all appropriate ceremonies, sporting events, outings, and public governmental affairs. It will also be mandatory that you place your right hand over your heart in respect for our country’s flag and all who have died under it.

(13) Racism is a two way street. If we are going to live together then we must have equality across the board. We no longer allow ALL white colleges; therefore, we will no longer allow ALL black colleges. We are not allowed weeks or special occasions that are set aside for ALL whites and therefore there will not be any ALL black special occasions either. Everyone must be given equal opportunity to attend any public function regardless of color. Employees are not to employ or keep employees just because of race just to meet some quota. You will be chosen for employment depending on your qualifications for the job. All college entrance exams or any other privileges that require testing will be the same across the board for everyone. Equality means not giving special privileges to someone just because of their race. Consequently, if we want equality we must have equality for ALL not just for a select few or just when it suits someone’s fancy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many men and woman have given their lives for the freedoms that we enjoy every day. Their lives mean something and we should respect the fact they were willing to give their live so we could have the freedom to live ours. Freedom of speech is one of the freedoms many have died for. I hope that no one who reads these words will take them as a personal slander or as racist comments. However, if you chose to do so that is your right. I speak in general and from my own personal experiences.

Change can be a good thing as history has proven. However, America was built on certain values, morals, and beliefs and when we mess with those we are leaving our country and ourselves wide open for destruction and failure.

May God Bless America, its people, and all who believe in Him!

granny
I write because I care!

12 comments:

Charity Tahmaseb said...

I try not to get into political type discussions, and please know that I’m trying to approach this in a genuine manner. I dislike internet trolls (hence my real name on this comment).

If you are convicted of murder, you will immediately be sent to the front lines in Iraq and take the place of one of our young kids who have willing put their life on the line for the likes of you.

As a brand new platoon leader, I had a “criminal” in my platoon. He was a former captain busted down to sergeant. Whatever he did, it wasn’t enough to have him completely removed from the Army or put in Leavenworth.

Even so, he was “killing” morale. I had a bunch of young soldiers fresh from language training, excited about their first assignment in Germany, and then this guy, badmouthing the Army at every turn. I petitioned my commanding officer and the sergeant was finally removed from my platoon and given a staff job. Later, he did something that got him processed out of the service.

The last thing I’d want as a platoon leader in Iraq is a murderer assigned to my unit, especially an untrained one, as your post implies. Out on patrol, I wouldn’t want one “watching” my back. I can’t fathom an entire self-contained unit of murderers, but you know, it’s the military, so if the civilian government orders it, they’ll comply. But I’m not sure that’s a burden we want to put on our overtaxed military.

It will also be mandatory that you place your right hand over your heart in respect for our country’s flag and all who have died under it.

Or else? You’ll be fined? Shot? Just as you can’t force someone to love you, you can’t force someone to love their country. That’s not patriotism. That’s fascism.

I’ve already played the military card, so I’ll do it again. In my oath of office, I swore to “protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America.” That includes the First Amendment. I’d no sooner force someone to acknowledge the flag than I would to deny your right to do so.

Unknown said...

Charity, thank you for your insight. I agree with you and understand your position. I suppose I need to go back and take another look and add a section to this post.

I did not literally mean that this is the way things should be. I was simply trying to make a point that we have allowed (change) to destroy so much of our country's morals and values by embellishing the rules/laws to a point that would be ridicules.

My point on criminals sent to the front lines was simply my way of saying that they should be put in a position of having their life in danger so they might realize the fear and anguish there victims experienced.

I too realize that it would be unjust perhaps to force people to salute our flag, but if a person is not proud of or does not love America then why would they want to live here. I for one would not willing go to a country and live if I was against all it stood for.

I was brought up to believe that the rights we are granted as an American comes with certain responsibilities as does all rights. Sometimes it just seems that people want all the rights but are often not responsible enough to appreciate them.

I do appreciate your time and feedback.
Thanks,
granny

Charity Tahmaseb said...

Just because someone doesn't salute the flag or say the pledge doesn't mean they aren't patriotic in their own way. There are various reasons why someone wouldn't (religious or otherwise). This doesn't make them bad Americans. This doesn't mean they don't want to live in the country where they were born.

I was brought up to believe that the rights we are granted as an American comes with certain responsibilities as does all rights.

This is a fine personal philosophy. I have no argument with it. However, we have a Bill of Rights. Not a Bill of Responsibilities. I don't have to "earn" my rights as an American. True, by my actions, I can forfeit them (the classic, you can't shout fire in a crowded theater and claim protection under the first amendment).

This is what is known as the rule of law, rather than the rule of man.

I can be, in someone else's opinion, immoral, irresponsible, lazy, but as long as I do not harm others in that pursuit or violate their rights, I still have my rights as an American.

Someone else may not like what I do. That doesn't mean my rights are revoked.

In other words, my rights are not dependent on the whims of anyone else, a ruling party, a president, and so on.

joni said...

Hi Charity! :-)

And gran of course.

I have to agree on the NUMBER ONE, and all the others that follow are you're right as an American since we have FREEDOM of Speech. :-)

When my country starts honoring me, maybe I will show honor to it. I respect my country but I also respect England, and Ireland.

This country has let me down in a BIG way! I did not ask for young men to go to war, I didn't ASK for war EVER! I didn't ask to vote, or be FORCED to do jury duty, or be told that my kid CAN'T pray in school! This is the actions of my country. They TELL ME what I can and can not do. So much for freedom.

I admire and respect MORE the people who defend this country. I respect people who are willing to stand up for what they believe in and voice their opinions.

I believe the children are our future...teach them well and let them LEAD the way. Show them all the beauty thay possess inside...

You get the picture. :-)

Nice thought provoking post.

Joni

Charity Tahmaseb said...

Joni,

I did not ask for young men to go to war, I didn't ASK for war EVER!

And young women. Write your representatives in Washington.

I didn't ask to vote,

You don’t have to. Many people don’t.

be FORCED to do jury duty

Again, don’t vote. ;-) But where do you suggest we find a jury of peers for the trial process? Due process and trial by jury are guaranteed in the Constitution. If you need a jury of your peers, where do you suggest they come from?

be told that my kid CAN'T pray in school!

Of course he can. Just as I can pray at my desk at work, in my car, at the supermarket. Or do you mean sanctioned school prayer? I strongly believe in separation of church and state. I believe this protects all religion, not just minority religions.

What happens in a school district that has a mostly Muslim population? Do we stop the school day to accommodate the Islamic call to prayer? Well, do we? Or are we saying it’s okay to pray to a generic or Christian deity, but no other?

I respect your strong beliefs. It’s fantastic you have that in your life. But when I hear the words “school prayer” I have a knee-jerk reaction (as you may have noticed). To me, that sounds like way too much government involvement in what should be a private matter.

joni said...

Hi again,
Did I thank you yet gran for a spirited discussion? lol

Charity,
The one thing I love about America is I do have rights period.

As for jury duty? In the state of Texas 'not voting' does not mean you don't HAVE to do it. In Texas, if you own a driver's license you are REQUIRED to do jury duty. (yes they WILL arrest you if you do not comply) I just feel it should be a CHOICE. One that I don't have, makes me feel I live in a third world country.And if we didn't commit crime why would we need a jury? (hey, a girl can dream can't she?)

And about the prayer, I do believe that each religion should be respected for their prayer.

Heck people don't like the idea that I homeschool. Usually it is frowned upon, but more and more parents that I speak to WANT to homeschool and are seriously considering it. This way my family has the right to pray where we want, when we want and to Whom we want.

Some schools here in Texas are now FORBIDDING the kids from saying the Pledge of Allegiance. I think it has just gotten too out of control. That is all that I meant by the school prayer.

When I say God Bless America, I think to myself...has He? :-)

Joni

Charity Tahmaseb said...

Joni,

I guess we must agree to disagree. Our founding fathers believed trial by a jury *so* important, it's in the Constitution.

In a third world country, you wouldn't have to worry about a trial, because it's possible you'd never get one. Ever.

It's possible to be accused of a crime without having committed one. Happens all the time. People also commit accidental crimes (hitting someone with their car unintentionally and killing them, for instance) where you would want a trial, a lawyer, and so on.

The legal system has its flaws, no doubt. But would you really want to live in a country with out one?

Charity Tahmaseb said...

Joni,

Oh, and I meant to say, I think it's great you homeschool. I have lots of friends who do/did for a variety of reasons.

And Granny, I'll stop hijacking your blog, poor thing. Thanks for being a lovely hostess.

joni said...

lol A hijacker among us?

It's fine I'm sure.

This is the reason I 'normally' never discuss politics OR religion because everyone has their own opinion. And well, that is why I love and respect my country.(AND the men AND women who serve) Just because I don't like something doesn't mean it isn't right for the people.

(I have to be careful, Texas has the highest rate of 'death by lethal injection.') lol


Joni :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comments and thoughts.
Oh, and joni you ask "When I say God Bless America, I think to myself...has He? :-)

How can He or why should He when we keep telling him we don't need his help? In order to be politically correct and not offend anyone we're not suppose to say Christmas - it's happy holidays, they want to take In God we Trust off everything. They want us to take any mention of Him out of our National Anthem. Where does it stop. We're not allowed to display the Nativity scene on public property.

I just think we have become a country so busy and concerned with trying to please everyone that comes to America that we have pushed God so far in the background, perhaps he feels we don't want His blessings.

Everyone seemed to think it was just fine to Pray to God when 911 happened. Didn't our government join hands and pray? It seems we only want Him when disaster strikes. :-)
Okay I'll get off my soap box for today.
Like you politics and religion is not normally something I discuss so I'm not even sure why I posted this. Maybe it was some inner spirit guiding my hand.

*smiles*
granny

joni said...

Welcome back Gran!!! :-)

I love your spirited post. Often we are driven BY the spirit and it is our right! :-)

You are a good person and a vocal woman. (like me) lol I think this is why I accepted Christ as a young child and didn't wait for disaster in my life (or the world) to say "Hey,you up there, gotta a little time for me?"

I've always made time for HIM. :-)

And as such I respect every Religion to honor their beliefs in whatever greater power/deity they worship. "To each his own." :-)

now...get to my blog! Today is Poetry Sunday! lol

godspeed...
Joni

benning said...

Dang!

I'll just say I enjoyed the post and the banter and leave it at that!

Whew!

Hehehee!

Notice - All contents, pictures and writing are the sole property of the author. Please do not use without the authors consent. Your comments and thoughts are encouraged and appreciated.
(c) Debbie Seko


Visit My YouTube Channel

Come be my Friend at Peoplestring.
It's Free